Family-Favorite Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, 1/2 cup tomato paste, mustard, 1 teaspoon horseradish, oats, soup mix, garlic powder and steak seasoning. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into a loaf and place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the water, sugar, remaining tomato paste and remaining horseradish; spread over meat loaf.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165°. Drain if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 250 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 763 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.