- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, 1/2 cup tomato paste, mustard, 1 teaspoon horseradish, oats, soup mix, garlic powder and steak seasoning. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf and place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the water, sugar, remaining tomato paste and remaining horseradish; spread over meat loaf.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165°. Drain if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Family-Favorite Meat Loaf
"This is really good and even better as leftovers."
"I followe the recipe exactly and it was terrific. When I told my husband it was good enough for company, he replied he didn't want to share it with company."
"Very tasty, made according to recipe. I would have liked a little more sauce on top and also some chopped green pepper in the mix, but it has a good flavor."
"@ Dave I have never seen a " sick" meat loaf. I think the word would be "healthful". This is very good meat loaf."
"Meatloaf is supposed to be tasty...not healthy."
"Wow! For flavor and texture it'd be hard to beat this recipe. If you have a yearning for Meat Loaf, searching recipes and looking for "The One", then look no further. Making this one my "go to" meatloaf recipte."
"cee-jay,One large egg will be okay.I used 2 with no problem."
"According to Egg Beater's web site, 3 tablespoons of egg substitue = one egg- there are 5.3 tablespoons in a 1/3 cup so if you use two eggs that should work.(it'd be a smidge more, but I don't think it should alter the recipe too much)"
"Not a Horseradish fan so I pass on that but do substitute red pepper flakes. Gives it a nice kick."