Family-Favorite Italian Chicken Recipe
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil and garlic powder; heat through.
- 2. Meanwhile, flatten chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, oregano and salt. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. Place flour in another shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil in batches for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with cheeses. Serve with pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 483 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated fat), 188mg cholesterol, 1050mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Reviews for Family-Favorite Italian Chicken
"Great flavor!! My "I don't like chicken" 6y had 2 servings!!"
"two thumbs up! this dish is wonderful!!"
"I baked this instead of frying it, still very good. I would have liked more sauce to accompany the pasta."
"We have picky eaters also and they loved it. The only thing I would change is to add some crushed chilies or hot sauce, we like spicy!"
"We loved it! Only thing I would do is make more sauce (we like sauce), and maybe add parm cheese to the sauce too, but really it was great just as it is!!!"
"I cut this receipe in half and actually only used 1 chicken breast. It made enough for two people. I also used freshly grated parmesian cheese. Yummy!"
"This is AWESOME!!"
"So so good! My whole family (even the picky eaters) loved it and several told me that I "had" to make it again."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.