- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil and garlic powder; heat through.
- Meanwhile, flatten chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, oregano and salt. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs and water. Place flour in another shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil in batches for 4-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with cheeses. Serve with pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Family-Favorite Italian Chicken
Sort By :
Very good. Next time, after browning the chicken, I would bake them with a slice of mozzarella cheese on top so it melts easily with a little sauce on top for a few minutes
LOVED this! the best chicken parm i've made. i browned the chicken on both sides, then put them in baking pan, spooned sauce on sauce, topped with parm - then baked uncovered at 375 for 15 min. turned out fabulous!
two thumbs up! this dish is wonderful!!
I baked this instead of frying it, still very good. I would have liked more sauce to accompany the pasta.