Family-Favorite Cran-Apple Relish
I made this relish for first time 53 years ago when I was 14. My mother wasn't able to prepare Thanksgiving dinner that year, so I was the cook for our family of 12! We all liked this dish so much that it became our family's traditional cranberry relish.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 navel orange
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 large apples, peeled and grated
- 2 cups sugar
- Finely grate outer orange rind and set aside. Peel off and discard
- white membrane. Slice the orange into eight pieces. Place a fourth
- of cranberries and orange slices in a food processor or blender;
- process until evenly chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; repeat until
- all cranberries and oranges have been chopped. Stir in the rind,
- apples and sugar. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or
- overnight. Yield: 6 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 45 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.