My Grandma Ackerson served these hearty sloppy joes on her auction lunch wagon. They were also a favorite on the farm at family gatherings. Now I serve them on my farm to her great-grandchildren. - Velda Larson, Paynesville, Minnesota
16 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1-1/2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato juice, rice, mustard and
- seasonings; mix well. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Spoon onto
- buns. Yield: 16 servings.
The filling for Family-Favorite Barbecues can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 286 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 797 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.