- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, cook bacon until crisp; drain.
- Return beef to the pan. Add the onion, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and molasses. Stir in the beans.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Family-Favorite Baked Beans
"It is a family favorite! We skip the ground beef and serve with smoked chicken off the grill. What a great dish. To give it just a little extra kick we add in two table spoons of spicy mustard. As a volunteer Taste of Home feild editor familly and friends expect great dishes from my kitchen, this delivers!"
"Hobo Beans....always a hit when feeding a crowd. I really like the addition of the molasses in this recipe. It was a hit at last weekends graduation party."
"Very good and simple to make. I reduced brown sugar to 2 tablespoons; I don't like the beans too sweet. When I tripled the recipe for a group, I used a variety of beans; they're all good. I make it in a slow-cooker rather than the oven."
"This is my Go-To recipe when I want to please a bunch of people. One woman who never eats baked beans said the smell of this dish made her mouth water. She tasted some and got another huge serving. This is a great recipe and I am very picky with baked beans. Just as a FYI, it thickens more the longer it sets. Very delicious. I have tried black beans, northern beans, navy beans and pinto beans. All taste excellent in this recipe."
"These were very good! I didn't put in the onions as i am not a fan of them and instead of baking in the oven I put them in the crockpot for 2-3 hours and they turned out wonderful."
"I absolutely love these beans and everyone I have served them to has asked for the recipe! Definitely a keeper and full of fiber on top of that as well!"
"Very good...the ground beef really adds a nice touch. I've made it a couple of times now and used it as a main dish. Also, instead of baking mine, I have mixed it together as directed and cooked in my crock pot for 4-5 hours on High."
"This is delicious! My husband likes it, too. I'll be making it again."
"I have made this recipe for years. I own 2 restaurants and frequently use this for off site BBQ events. The molasses make the recipe. I also add 2 tsp of dijon mustard. The combination of the two is great. For the person who thought that the ground beef may make the recipe too heavy, no way! Try it, you will not get ANY COMPLAINTS!"