"MY MOTHER-IN-LAW said she devised this recipe when her children were growing up and schedules were hectic. It was a favorite Sunday dish because it could be cooking while the family was at church. When they came home, it didn't take long to finish the preparations and put dinner on the table."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, sage, basil and
- seasoned salt, reserving 1/4 cup. Add chicken, a few pieces at a
- time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter
- on all sides.
- Transfer chicken to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the reserved flour
- mixture to the skillet; stir until smooth. When mixture begins to
- bubble, stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil; boil for 1
- minute. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2
- hours or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 pieces) equals 492 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 1,055 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as