- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, tapioca and nutmeg; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a pie plate with bottom crust; add pear mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Cut large slits in top. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes or until the pears are tender. Remove to a wire rack. Pour cream through slits if desired. Cool. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Fall Pear Pie
Sort By :
"This is a very good pie. I added a half teaspoon of cinnamon to the pears and sprinkled the top crust with sugar."
"I am not a big pear fan but when it I baked this I could have mistook this for apple pie if I would not have made this pie and someone else did."