- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, tapioca and nutmeg; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a pie plate with bottom crust; add pear mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Cut large slits in top. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes or until the pears are tender. Remove to a wire rack. Pour cream through slits if desired. Cool. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Fall Pear Pie
"Amazing pie! I have always made apple pie, but my new home has a bartlett pear tree full of pears this fall. I think that this could be my new favorite. I followed the recipe fairly closely. The only changes I made was omitting the nutmeg and in place used cinnamon in which I sprinkled on top of the pears before I put the second crust on top. Instead of brushing the egg on the top of the crust, I brushed milk and sprinkled it with granulated sugar. Terrific!"
"This is a very good pie. I added a half teaspoon of cinnamon to the pears and sprinkled the top crust with sugar."