My husband loves this recipe, which is of Greek origin. I save any leftovers for his lunch the following day, and he says it tastes as good the second time around. Another nice thing about the recipe is that it's nutritious.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- YOGURT SAUCE:
- 2 cups (16 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9 pita bread halves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- 1. In a food processor, combine first 11 ingredients. Process until smooth. If mixture is moist, add a few more bread crumbs. Using a 1/3 cup measure, shape mixture into patties.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Fry patties until golden brown on both sides. Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients. Stuff pita halves with patties, tomato, onion and lettuce. Spoon sauce into pitas. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 249 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 553 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC