- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large sweet pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 8 pita pocket halves
- Guacamole and sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. For salsa, combine first four ingredients; stir in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Brush pepper halves and onion slices with remaining oil. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place vegetables and chicken on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, until vegetables are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side.
- Cut vegetables and chicken into strips; toss with cheese. Spoon into pita halves; place on a baking sheet. Bake until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve with salsa and, if desired, guacamole and sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Fajita Pitas
"I love fajitas & this was a great way to eat them & the leftovers taste good the next day too! Thanks for making fajita night a little different!"
"This was good, my daughter did not care for.. But the rest of us thought it was a decent meal.."
"A nice alternative to regular faijias"
"these are wonderful. I have a handicapped daughter with cerebral palsy, i made pocket tacos for her about 30 years ago because the taco shells crumbled in her hands. she could have a taco and handle it herself. she is 40 years old now and still loves them, she loves the fajitas also."