Fabulous Fajitas Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown steak in oil over medium heat. Place steak and drippings in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder and red pepper flakes.
- 2. Cover and cook on high until meat is almost tender, 2-3 hours. Add green pepper and onion; cover and cook ntil meat and vegetables are tender, 1 hour.
- 3. Warm tortillas according to package directions; spoon beef and vegetables down the center of tortillas. Top each with cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 fajita: 314 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Fabulous Fajitas
"We love Mexican food so this recipe satisfies our craving!!"
"Good basic recipe, but a little bland- I add a couple of different chili powders, ancho, chipotle- lots more garlic. Cannot eat green peppers, use yellow, red or orange. Lime juice instead of lemon. A touch of honey. Cook on low, 6-8 hours. I use the lime at the end, before serving."
"this was very good, but I would probably add a little more seasoning the next time. I will make this again."
"I'm surprised I didn't submit a review on this recipe earlier (shame on me)! This recipe is truly FABULOUS! This is my go-to recipe for fajitas; not only do I use steak, but I also use chicken and I'll double the recipe so one night we have fajitas, the next night I'll make quesadillas with either the chicken or steak. This is such a keeper!!"
"I also prepare this recipe by marinating chicken in the seasonings, then cooking it on individual fajita skillets"
"This was great. The meat was so tender! easy to make too. I doubled the recipe to serve 7 people."
"I used half of the recipe and put it in my 1.5 qt slow cooker and it was perfect for the two of us. I used lime instead of lemon, but I couldn't detect any lime flavor. I would have been better off using the lemon during cooking and adding a squeeze of lime at the end."
"The name says it all- fabulous! No more to says!"
"The name fits they are Fabulous!"
"This turned out way better than expected! The flavor of the meat is awesome and the peppers weren't soggy.*I cooked this in a 5 qt crock on low for about 6 hrs. I almost doubled the lemon juice and spices for a little more kick and put a little water in as well to keep it from drying out.I'll be making this a regular!"
"These were so easy and quick. I found you don't need to cook on HIGH, Low temp worked well for 2 hours. Added the peppers and onions and cooked 30 min on High, then another 30 min on Low. Served with salsa, sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese and avocado slices. Might try lime juice instead of lemon juice next time. Also used a mix of green, red and yellow peppers."
"Seasoning is the best we've ever had. We use it on chicken in the skillet too. Very flavorful."
"Loved that it was in the crock - pot meaning easy clean up. Tasty!"
"This is definitely a keeper. easy and delicious!"
"This meal has become one our family favorites and regulars. Eezy-breezy, tasty, and healthy."