Eyeball Taco Salad
In Queen Creek, Arizona, all eyes are on Jolene Young’s tasty main-dish salad when she brings it in. Topped with creepy peepers, it’s packed with beef, cheese, tomato and satisfying taco flavor to satisfy a crowd.
10 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 10 slices tomato, halved
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 10 whole pitted ripe olives, halved
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Place tortilla chips in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan;
- sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. Spread meat mixture over top;
- sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake at 325° for 25-30 minutes or
- until bubbly.
- Top with lettuce and onion. Cut into ten 5-in. x 3-in. pieces. On
- each piece, arrange two tomato slices for eyes; top each with a
- dollop of sour cream and an olive half.
- Yield: 10 servings.