Eyeball Taco Salad
In Queen Creek, Arizona, all eyes are on Jolene Young’s tasty main-dish salad when she brings it in. Topped with creepy peepers, it’s packed with beef, cheese, tomato and satisfying taco flavor to satisfy a crowd.
10 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, crushed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 10 slices tomato, halved
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 10 whole pitted ripe olives, halved
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in water, tomato sauce and taco seasoning. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Place tortilla chips in a
- greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Spread meat mixture over top; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake
- 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Top with lettuce and onion. Cut into ten 5x3-in. pieces. On each
- piece, arrange two tomato slices for eyes; top each with a dollop of