My family has fun serving this creamy soup to unsuspecting guests and watching their reaction when they stir up an onion "eyeball". You can make the soup a day ahead and reheat it in the slow cooker.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) V8 juice or spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 cup frozen pearl or small whole onions, thawed
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper
- until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. In another saucepan, bring
- V8 to a boil. Reduce heat; gradually whisk in white sauce. Add
- onions; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-3/4 quarts).
Editor’s Note: If a smoother soup is desired, cool and puree in batches in a blender before adding onions.