Extra-Special Cashew Crescents Recipe
- 1-2/3 cups lightly salted cashews
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- Chopped lightly salted cashews and additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. Place cashews in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Combine flour, salt and chopped cashews; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Divide dough in half; shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a floured scalloped round 3-in. cookie cutter, cut a semicircle from one corner of the dough, forming the inside of a crescent shape. Reposition cutter 1-1/4 in. from inside of crescent; cut cookie, forming a crescent 1-1/4 in. wide at its widest point. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill and reroll scraps if desired.
- 5. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 6-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 6. Combine the confectioners' sugar, milk and remaining vanilla; spread or drizzle over cookies as desired. Sprinkle with chopped cashews if desired. Leave some cookies plain or sprinkle them with additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Let iced cookies stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without optional cashews) equals 79 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 34 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.