This salad is a complete meal, or it can be served as a side dish. When I was young, this was the only salad dressing my mother ever made.
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 3/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- In a saucepan, combine the eggs, sugar, vinegar and salt; cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Cool completely, stirring several times.
- In a bowl, combine the macaroni, hard-cooked eggs, ham, cheese, celery, onion, pickle relish and olives. Stir mayonnaise into cooled egg mixture; pour over macaroni mixture. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Everything Salad in Country April/May 2004, p51
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Everything Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review