- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each sesame, caraway and poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Combine salt, onion and seeds; sprinkle over bread. Bake 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (25 slices).
Reviews for Everything Bread
"Recipe calls for all purpose flour. Can I use bread flour in place of it? If so, the same amount?"
"i loved the fact that it had sesame, poppy and caraway seeds. but then i am hooked any kind of homemade bread. this was way too yummy. it was gone in less then 20 minutes"
"Easy, beautiful, tasty,...my go-to recipe for impressing company."
"So easy. Followed the recipe exactly. Great flavor with the seasonings on top and very soft inside (surprised at that). Makes a HUGE loaf."
"This is an easy recipe. It bakes up very soft and tender. It has potential for a lot of variety. It can go sweet or savory."
"Came out beuutifully. Didn't expect it to be so soft inside."
"Yum! This recipe is delicious. Our whole family loved it! We didn't have any caraway but it was delicious anyway!"
"Delicious. Added 1/2 tsp onion powder to the dough and it tasted just like an onion bagel. One of the best breads I've ever made. Used my bread machine to mix the dough, and needed to add about an extra cup of flour. I agree that you don't need all the salt. Too salty."
"Fantastic bread. Flavorful and beautiful. It was an easy recipe to follow. Blogged about it on my blog cutterlight.com. Thank you for the recipe."