Everything Bread Recipe
I love to make bread from scratch and this has become one of our tried and true favorites to serve with any meal, casual or formal. —Traci Wynne, Denver, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:25 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon each sesame, caraway and poppy seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, egg yolk, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 20-in. rope. Place ropes on a large greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Combine salt, onion and seeds; sprinkle over bread. Bake 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (25 slices).
1 slice equals 102 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 237 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC