I created this recipe so my son, Ethan, could get a nutritious breakfast. I was afraid he'd turn up his nose, but just one bite and he pronounced them yummy!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- In a large bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Combine buttermilk, eggs, applesauce and molasses; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in walnuts and apple.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown. Yield: 20-22 pancakes.
Originally published as Ethan's Apple-Nut Pancakes in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p41
Reviews for Ethan's Apple-Nut Pancakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review