Sealed inside a golden crust is a delicious special delivery— a fudgy walnut filling that's almost like a brownie. These cookies are like two treats in one.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in flour. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter, sugar and baking cocoa until blended. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Stir in walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-1/2-in. square; cut into twenty-five 2-1/2-in. squares.
- Place a rounded teaspoonful of filling in center of each square. Bring two opposite corners to center. Moisten edges with water and pinch to seal. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake 18-22 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 25 cookies.
Originally published as Envelopes of Fudge in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p34
Reviews for Envelopes of Fudge
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review