- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in flour. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter, sugar and baking cocoa until blended. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Stir in walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-1/2-in. square; cut into twenty-five 2-1/2-in. squares.
- Place a rounded teaspoonful of filling in center of each square. Bring two opposite corners to center. Moisten edges with water and pinch to seal. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake 18-22 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 25 cookies.
Originally published as Envelopes of Fudge in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p34
Reviews for Envelopes of Fudge
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 7, 2015
"Nice taste, but don't bake this long. Mine were hard and too done after 15" of baking."
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2013
"These are easy and a nice addition to my plate of Christmas cookies!"