- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin powder in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Transfer half of the gelatin mixture to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until slightly thickened. Reserve remaining gelatin mixture; let stand at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine mashed strawberries and sugar; set aside. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; cut pineapple chunks in half and set aside. Toss banana slices with reserved pineapple juice; set aside.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl, layer half of each of the following: cake cubes, mashed strawberries, pineapple, banana mixture and sliced strawberries. Pour refrigerated gelatin over top. Set aside remaining cake and fruit. Place trifle and reserved gelatin in refrigerator for 20 minutes or until gelatin is slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread half over trifle. Repeat layers with remaining cake, fruit, reserved gelatin and pudding. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for English Trifle
Sort By :
"Very easy to make and a big hit with my husband and kids. I made it today to mark the 1st anniversary of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge. (I'm British). The remaining gelatin is used when you repeat the layers. When you take the trifle back out of the fridge after 20 minutes, as it says in the directions, you repeat all the layers which means you spoon over the thickened gelatin like you did the first time. Hope that makes sense."
"Haven't made it as of yet but plan on making it for a Hamburger B-B-Q/Homemade Ice Cream Back To School Bash our Church does every year for our community and teachers and faculty. I needed a sugar free dessert to take as I'm diabetic, this will work just fine. I, as well as monges and carriejc had wondered what you do with the left over gelatin that was left on the counter. Not sure anyone had responded to the question yet. Will post how it turns out at a later date. Looks "DELISH" !!"
"You can't go wrong with a Triffle...everthing about is sooooo good!!!!"
"It was really good. I would defiantly make this again."
"I made this for my fam and they loved it. My husband ate it for 3 days. Not only was it fun to make, it is nutritious."