You'll impress guests with this lovely dessert layered with angel food cake, fruit, pudding and fat-free whipped topping. It's so creamy and refreshing thatno one will know it's "light." —Aldah Bothmann-Powell San Antonio, Texas
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup mashed strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 cup sliced firm bananas
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin powder in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Transfer half of the gelatin mixture to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until slightly thickened. Reserve remaining gelatin mixture; let stand at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine mashed strawberries and sugar; set aside. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; cut pineapple chunks in half and set aside. Toss banana slices with reserved pineapple juice; set aside.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl, layer half of each of the following: cake cubes, mashed strawberries, pineapple, banana mixture and sliced strawberries. Pour refrigerated gelatin over top. Set aside remaining cake and fruit. Place trifle and reserved gelatin in refrigerator for 20 minutes or until gelatin is slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread half over trifle. Repeat layers with remaining cake, fruit, reserved gelatin and pudding. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as English Trifle in Taste of Home June/July 2008, p59
Reviews for English Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review