Each Christmas I make several pounds of candy and cookies for friends, neighbors and business associates. This tasty toffee is covered in chocolate and sprinkled with nuts...and it won't stick to your teeth! -Don McVay, Wilsonville, Oregon
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add the sugar, corn syrup and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295° (hard-crack stage). Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool, about 1 hour.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips;stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand for 1 hour Break into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Originally published as English Toffee in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p41
Reviews for English Toffee
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review