- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup cold butter
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb and 3/4 cup of sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar; stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture thickens, 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over rhubarb crumble. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Rhubarb Crumble in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p29
Reviews for English Rhubarb Crumble
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 23, 2014
"The sauce makes this an unusually good rhubarb crumble. Tastes great served with ice cream."
Reviewed Apr. 22, 2012
"My family loved this! Most of them had seconds. It was easy to make, too."