English Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
When I met my English husband and served him just the crumble, he said it was fantastic but really needed a custard sauce over it. We found a terrific sauce recipe from England, and now the pair is perfect together. I wouldn't eat it any other way. -Amy Freeman, Cave Creek, Arizona
- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup cold butter
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb and 3/4 cup of sugar. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar; stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture thickens, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over rhubarb crumble. Yield: 12 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Rhubarb Crumble in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p29
Reviews for English Rhubarb Crumble(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 22, 2012
My family loved this! Most of them had seconds. It was easy to make, too.