English Pasties Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water or milk
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cubed
- 1/4 pound boneless pork steak, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1. Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Add enough water or milk to moisten dry ingredients. Shape into a ball. Cover and set aside.
- 2. For filling, toss together beef, pork, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Divide the pastry in half and roll each into a 10-in. circle. Divide the filling over the center of each pastry; dot each with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Fold pastry over the filling, sealing edges tightly. Cut slits in the top of the pasties. If desired, brush tops with egg. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Spoon 1 teaspoon water per pastry in slits. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15 minutes longer or until golden. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 605 calories, 32 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.