- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water or milk
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cubed
- 1/4 pound boneless pork steak, cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten, optional
- 2 teaspoons water
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Add enough water or milk to moisten dry ingredients. Shape into a ball. Cover and set aside.
- For filling, toss together beef, pork, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper. Divide the pastry in half and roll each into a 10-in. circle. Divide the filling over the center of each pastry; dot each with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Fold pastry over the filling, sealing edges tightly. Cut slits in the top of the pasties. If desired, brush tops with egg. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Spoon 1 teaspoon water per pastry in slits. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15 minutes longer or until golden. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as English Pasties in Country Extra May 1992, p51
Reviews for English Pasties
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2013
"Had no flavour at all. I will not be making this again."
Reviewed Apr. 20, 2011
"A nice easy recipe - and delicious."