This recipe is a creation of mine that resembles the traditional sloppy joe sandwich. I like to prepare it whenever I have a crowd to serve, because the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. My children also love these for quick after-school snacks. I often fix the sauce ahead of time so they can reheat it quickly. —Barbara Gorden, Hanover, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the peppers, onion, mushrooms and seasonings; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Top each muffin half with 2 tablespoons meat sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and filling is hot. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pizza Joes in Country Extra September 1990, p45
Reviews for English Muffin Pizza Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review