English Muffin Loaf
This simple recipe does not require kneading and calls for just one rising time. Slices are absolutely delicious toasted and topped with butter.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In a saucepan, heat milk and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry
- ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour (batter will
- be stiff). Do not knead.
- Grease an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan and sprinkle with cornmeal. Spoon
- batter into prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 97 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.