English Muffin Bread
You can bake this bread either in clean coffee cans for a change of pace or regular loaf pans. This bread is really delicious when toasted.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking
- soda. Add milk and water; mix well. Stir in remaining flour (batter
- will be soft). Do not knead.
- Sprinkle three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with cornmeal. Spoon
- batter into pans; sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a
- warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 62 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 101 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.