VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add milk and water; mix well. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be soft). Do not knead.
- Sprinkle three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans; sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as English Muffin Bread in Country Woman November/December 1996, p36