English Muffin Bread Loaf Recipe
"MANY YEARS AGO, a good friend gave me her mother's recipe for this delightful bread, and I've made it ever since. It's perfect for a hearty breakfast, especially when smothered with you favorite jam."
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- 2. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Slice and toast. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 83 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC