- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease two 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks. Slice and toast. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for English Muffin Bread Loaf
"For the last 8 years I've tried to get this recipe to 'rise', have made it at least 75 times. YOUR version says to use electric mixer-THAT solved the problem. Now it rises to the occasion.Try this...add 1 1/2 - 2 cups white raisins...I even have used whole wheat flour!"
"This bread is delicious! I followed the recipe and it came out perfect. I will definitely be making this again,thanks for sharing."
"Awesome! I've never made actual english muffins but buy them often, and this is much better and homemade tasting. Fairly easy recipe too with only one rising. Toasted with butter and jam it is to die for :)"
"I made this and oh my gosh! It was sooo good! I gave a loaf to my sister and she loved it too. I love English muffins so this is something I plan to make a lot so that I always have some on hand. I'll never buy them again. The next time I make it, I'm going to divide the dough and make half with cinnamon and raisins and replace cornmeal with a cinnamon sugar mixture."
"Made this recipe for Sunday morning brunch today, easy to make but found the bread way to dense. I'm looking for a lighter texture and prefer it to taste more like the Thomas muffins you purchase, a gluten free version wold be a major plus."
"Excellent and very easy to make. You can slice at the thickness you want. I won't be buying muffins again!!"
"This is a great recipe! Te bread is full of holes just like an english muffin, and it's nice and chewy. Really easy to make as well."
"Amazingly easy and SO GOOD! A hit with the whole fam, even the picky eaters! WAY easier than making individual muffins and tastes even better! Thank you! This is a staple in our home now! Love that I can make one and freeze one!"
"I just tried this recipe and it was so easy and taste delicious! I love english muffins so this was a great find. Thank you for sharing submitter !"