English Batter Buns
Since receiving this easy-to-prepare recipe from a dear friend, I've made these rolls often for the holidays.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the shortening,
- sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm
- place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir batter vigorously for 25 strokes (dough will be slightly
- sticky). Spoon into greased muffin cups. Tap pans to settle the
- batter. Cover and let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, about
- 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with butter. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 241 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium,