Since receiving this easy-to-prepare recipe from a dear friend, I've made these rolls often for the holidays. —Geraldine West, Ogden, Utah
- 2 packages (1/4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the shortening, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Stir batter vigorously for 25 strokes (dough will be slightly sticky). Spoon into greased muffin cups. Tap pans to settle the batter. Cover and let rise until batter reaches tops of cups, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as English Batter Buns in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p21
Reviews for English Batter Buns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review