Engaging Heart Cookies Recipe
My husband, Brian, is an excellent cook. The first time he made these elegant cookies was the night we go engaged. He took them to the restaurant and had the staff arrange them on a plate along with my ring! —Beth Kelley, Indianapolis, Indiana
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ground toasted hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 3/4 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in hazelnuts. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll to 1/4-in. thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes (cookies will be soft). Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
- 3. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Repeat with vanilla chips and remaining shortening. Dip right side of half of the cookies in semisweet chocolate; dip the left side of remaining cookies in white chocolate. Overlap two hearts before the chocolate is set. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 263 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Engaging Heart Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC