Energizing Granola Recipe
This tasty breakfast or snack combo packs a healthy punch of vitamin E, and flaxseed offers omega-3 fatty acids. Nina Wiseman - Batavia, OH
- 2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried banana chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine the water, honey, molasses and oil. Heat for 3-4 minutes over medium until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Pour over the oat mixture; stir to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in dried fruits. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 cups.
1/2 cup equals 260 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC