End-of-the-Rainbow Cake Recipe
This pretty cake can be served with foil-wrapped chocolate coins to represent the elusive pot of gold.—Ndara Pike, Tempe, Arizona
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- Frosting of your choice
- Foil-covered chocolate coins, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost between layers and top and sides of cake. Decorate with chocolate coins if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 326 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC