- 7 large cucumbers, shredded
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- Toss first five ingredients; let stand 3 hours. Drain; squeeze and blot dry with paper towels.
- In a Dutch oven, mix sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 pints.
Originally published as End of Garden Relish in Taste of Home June/July 2016, p78
Reviews for End of Garden Relish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2016
"I made this relish twice and is very good. It is quite sweet so second time reduced sugar to 3 cups and still excellent. Will be sure to make again next year."