Enchilada-Style Burritos Recipe
"Our family loves Mexican food, but I couldn't find a recipe for homemade burritos that we liked as much as the frozen varieties," comments Terry Ann Christensen of Roy, Utah. "So I came up with a not-too-spicy homemade sauce that dresses them up."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 6 frozen prepared bean and cheese burritos
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1. Place frozen burritos in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until a smooth; gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the tomato sauce, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Pour over the burritos. Sprinkle with cheese, olives if desired and onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 524 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 1,751 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC