Enchilada Pie Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. Cut three 25-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large saucepan, cook the meat crumbles, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in both cans of beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. In prepared slow cooker, layer about a cup of bean mixture, one tortilla and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers five times. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- 4. Using foil strips as handles, remove the pie to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 367 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 818 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.