- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cut three 25-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, cook the meat crumbles, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in both cans of beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In prepared slow cooker, layer about a cup of bean mixture, one tortilla and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers five times. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Using foil strips as handles, remove the pie to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Enchilada Pie
"Loved this meal! I personally chose to use ground beef instead of the meatless crumbles because I couldn't find them. I found it to be delicious and have made it several times!"
"I have to say, I worried about it, but it was pretty good. I put a little salsa and sour cream on it and used ground chicken since my husband didn't like the idea of the crumbles. It was a hit with everyone except my 10 year old. I don't think chili powder is his thing. But he ate it anyway."
"My family loved it...it came out perfect---"
"Oops! I forgot to click on the rating stars!"
"When I make chili I do not use beans - I've never been crazy about beans. I've not used the veggie meat crumbles before. But I have vowed to change my eating habits in 2011, and this recipe was definitely outside my comfort zone. I really wasn't expecting to like it! Having said all that . . . I LOVE THIS DISH! I will definitely make it again and I will be sharing it with family and friends!"