- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pastry for 2 double-crust pies
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cumin. Chop into very small pieces and place in a bowl. Add chilies and cheese. Sprinkle with flour; toss to coat.
- Turn pastry dough onto a floured surface; roll to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. round cutter. Fill each circle with about 1 tablespoon of filling. Wet edges of circle with water. Fold half of pastry over filling; seal with fingers, then press with the tines of a fork. Repeat until all filling is used.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush lightly with milk. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Empanditas in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p7
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Empanditas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review