Emerald Isle Cake Recipe
"THIS CAKE is so simple to make, and it provides the perfect finish for an Irish meal. The glaze adds just the right touch of sweetness, but even more importantly, it features the color of the day—green, of course!"
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or Irish whiskey
- Green food coloring, optional
- Slivered almonds, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Beat until smooth. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and milk or whiskey until smooth and fairly thin. If desired, stir in 1 to 2 drops food coloring until blended. Spread glaze over warm cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 9-12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 257 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC