Emerald Isle Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or Irish whiskey
- Green food coloring, optional
- Slivered almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Beat until smooth. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and milk or whiskey until smooth and fairly thin. If desired, stir in 1 to 2 drops food coloring until blended. Spread glaze over warm cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews for Emerald Isle Cake(3)
Sort By :
I made this exactly as the recipe is written. I used milk for the glaze but not the food coloring. This is a delicious little cake. It is easy to make too. And it did taste even better the next day.
I didn't use the glaze, but used a few tablespoons of leftover vanilla frosting warmed and drizzled over the cake. Also, I added 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. ground cloves to the dry ingredients. My family loved the cake and we ate it while it was still slightly warm. I agree that it tastes even better the next day, especially with the added spices. Next time I'm going to reduce the butter by 2 Tbsp. and substitute applesauce. This is a tasty and inexpensive cake that tops off a weekday dinner beautifully!