Elk Wellington Recipe
"My husband's an avid hunter and fisherman, so we often try new recipes with elk, deer, rabbit, turkey or fish. Our family loves this special game dish," says Sandy Green from Ignacio, Colorado. The elk fillets are dressed up in puff pastry and drizzled with a savory onion-mushroom sauce.
- 8 elk fillets (about 4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1-1/3 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown elk fillets in oil on both sides; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the mushrooms, parsley and chives; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of pastry into a 16-in. square. Cut each into four 8-in. squares. Top each square with mushroom mixture and one fillet. Fold pastry over fillet; seal seams.
- Place seam side down on a rack in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat egg and cold water; brush over pastry. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, saute mushrooms and onion in butter in a saucepan until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, browning sauce if desired, tomato paste and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pastry. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Elk Wellington in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p21
Reviews for Elk Wellington(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Condiments >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Sauces & Toppings Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >