Elf Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, divided
- 6 drops red food coloring, divided
- 168 assorted M&M's minis (about 1/4 cup)
- 56 almond slices (about 4 teaspoons)
- 56 brown M&M's minis (about 1 tablespoon)
- 28 red M&M's minis (about 2 teaspoons)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-3/4-in. x 3-1/4-in. diamond cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For one batch of glaze, in a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, 4-1/2 teaspoons milk and 1/4 teaspoon extract. Remove 1 tablespoon glaze to another bowl. Tint remaining glaze with 3 drops food coloring.
- Working with one cookie at a time, spread red glaze over top half of cookie. Place one M&M at top for tassel and five M&M's across edge of glaze for hat brim. For ears, place two almonds above M&M's on each end. Dip M&M's minis in plain glaze; place brown bits on cookie for eyes and a red bit for nose. Repeat with 13 more cookies.
- Make second batch of glaze with remaining confectioners' sugar, milk, extract and food coloring. Decorate remaining cookies as above. Yield: 28 cookies.
Originally published as Elf Cookies in Quick Cooking November/December 2005, p20
Reviews for Elf Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review