"Reaction from those who eat them makes them worth the effort!" assures Suzanne McKinley of Lyons, Georgia.
15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, sugar, salt, shortening and 2 cups
- flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a
- soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise
- in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and shape into 15 ovals, 5-1/2-in. round by 1/8-in. thick.
- Heat 3-4 in. of oil to 375° in deep-fat fryer. Fry ovals, one at
- a time, 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain. Mix sugar
- and cinnamon; sprinkle over warm pastries. Yield: 15 servings.