My son's beloved elephant blankie was the inspiration for the theme of his fourth birthday party. His cake, shaped like a friendly pachyderm, was a huge hit! I'm no cake decorator, but I found it fun to make. No special pans are needed, and the frosting is easily applied with a pastry bag and star tip. —Kristen Proulx, Canton, New York
24-30 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 12 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 7 tablespoons milk
- Black and blue paste food coloring
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans and one 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan
- with waxed paper; grease the paper. Prepare both cake batters and
- bake according to package directions, using the 9-in. pans for the
- yellow cake and the 13-in. x 9-in. pan for the chocolate cake. Cool
- for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Level cake tops if necessary.
- Referring to Fig. 1 and using a serrated knife, cut out a trunk and
- two feet from one yellow cake. Referring to Fig. 3, cut out an ear
- and tail from second yellow cake. (Discard leftover cake pieces or
- save for another use.)
- Center chocolate cake on a 28-in. x 16-in. covered board. Referring
- to Fig. 2, position trunk along left bottom edge of cake and tail on
- right side. Place feet at bottom corners of cake. Place ear 2 in.
- from left side of cake.